There is some basic kit that you will need to look after yourself when running in the hills.
- Fell or trail running shoes with good grip
- Waterproof jacket/smock with a hood and taped seams
- Waterproof trousers with taped seams
- Hat or buff
- Water and food e.g. nuts, dried fruit, mini savouries, cereal bars
- Something to carry it all in e.g. bum bag or running rucksack
In winter or adverse weather conditions you will also need:
- Warm hat
- Warm gloves
- Survival bag (large plastic bag to shelter in if unable to keep moving)
- Spare warm top e.g. a fleece or light insulated jacket
Spare clothing items should be wrapped in a strong plastic bag, or roll top dry bag, to keep them dry.
None of these items need be expensive. Budget options are available to get you started from Decathlon, Go Outdoors and Sports Direct.